University Infrastructure Networks
Regarded as the backbone of the activation of the development of various systems of information technology, the Network aims at developing the website interconnection services (internet) to reach all staff members, labs, administrative departments in all faculties projects (ICTP). Thereupon, this network is necessary for upgrading academic performance and activities related to the educational system in the Suez University. This upgrading can only be achieved through the optimization of the internet service which became an indispensable tool for comprehensive quality, continuous development of University system, upgrading quality levels and the competitive capacity of educational outputs.
All these aims can be achieved by using electronic library, the spread of e-learning culture, and fostering administrative information system to facilitate administrative procedures with the use of University website (http//www.scuegypt.edu.eg) and emails. This network will also enable faculties to distinguish themselves and qualify its members for accreditation and recognition on national, Arab and international levels as well as serving the community surrounding the University.
Information technology is one of the basic elements that support universities for the implementation of their main functions, namely: research, teaching and learning. In this context, the effective vision for the developmental projects of information technology should reflect the concept that information technology is not isolated from other University department or is owned by a certain entity. Information Technology is a group of tools that facilitate the achievement of University tasks and objectives.
Fulfilling the mission entails items like: the development of IT infrastructure, the consolidation of IT implementation, the increase of technological awareness and reducing the digital divide in higher education institutions. All these elements coincide with the strategy of higher education development in Egypt.
- Creating of an appropriate and highly-secured site (Data Center) for SU network and the provision of equipment like: main router, core switches, ipoque, distribution switches, and fire wall (UTM). This network aims at connecting all branch faculties and University cities to the Egyptian Universities network through Fiber Optic Connections.
- Establishing internal networks (intranet) for every faculty. These networks will, in turn, be connected to the University networks.
- Enabling the projects of education development to carry out its goals properly.
- Providing wireless access points to enable students and staff members to use network services in different assembling points in faculties, libraries and University cities.
- Hosting servers for branch development projects.
- Providing internet service at appropriate speed for everyone on campus, including staff members, students and administrative employees.
- Activating and using Video Conferencing Service.
- Protecting SU private data by setting up internet fire walls to protect the computers connected to the network from being attacked by viruses that affect the speed of the internet. In addition, it will enable network to distribute bandwidth fairly to different faculties in accordance with their capacities.
- Providing network with generators to ensure the non-stop operation of computers in case of main source power.
- Providing network with UPS's to prevent electric shocks leading to hardware damage.
- Providing networks with small computer labs (10-15 devices) to enable providing training courses within and outside network as well as to serve the surrounding community.